Friday 10 November 2017

Charity shopping - the one with the Weasley blanket.

It's never too early to buy Christmas decorations, right?

Charity shopping - the one with the Weasley blanket, retro Christmas decorations, animal brooches and salad spinner! From UK charity shop blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #charityshopping #charityshopblogger #secondhandstyle #thriftshopping #opshopping

Charity shopping - the one with the Weasley blanket, retro Christmas decorations, animal brooches and salad spinner! From UK charity shop blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #charityshopping #charityshopblogger #secondhandstyle #thriftshopping #opshopping

I had to buy a huge bag of ugly modern baubles to get these retro Christmas decorations.  I couldn't resist though, the whole bag cost a pound and I'll donate the rest of the baubles back to the charity shop!
Retro Santa and snowman Christmas decorations, £1, local Salvation Army charity shop.

Charity shopping - the one with the Weasley blanket, retro Christmas decorations, animal brooches and salad spinner! From UK charity shop blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #charityshopping #charityshopblogger #secondhandstyle #thriftshopping #opshopping

Both of these brooches are from Ebay.  The owl is sterling silver and turquoise, and the hedgehog is just shiny and cute! 
Brooches, £1 each, Ebay.

Charity shopping - the one with the Weasley blanket, retro Christmas decorations, animal brooches and salad spinner! From UK charity shop blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #charityshopping #charityshopblogger #secondhandstyle #thriftshopping #opshopping

I spent so long looking for a second hand salad spinner (to help slosh the slugs off my home grown lettuce) and couldn't find one anywhere.  The day after I asked my mum to keep an eye out for one in the charity shop where she volunteers, she appeared with this fab yellow one.  Thank you mother!
Yellow salad spinner, a lovely second hand gift. 

Charity shopping - the one with the Weasley blanket, retro Christmas decorations, animal brooches and salad spinner! From UK charity shop blogger secondhandsusie.blogspot.com #charityshopping #charityshopblogger #secondhandstyle #thriftshopping #opshopping

I couldn't resist this knitted blanket, it's huge,a bit knobbly bobbly and all of the colours!  It's massive too, I don't have anywhere big enough to take a photo if it in it's entirety. 
Huge Weasley blanket, £6, local Salvation Army charity shop. 


Have you had any luck in the charity shops lately?
 
P.S. Check out my other charity shop posts for more!  





14 comments:

  1. A lot of work has gone into tht blanket - I like things a bit uneven and 'wobbly', they have the true handmade look, I hate handmade things that are just too perfect - you may as well just go and buy a mass-produced one !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I always feel sad when I spot handmade blankets in the charity shop for really cheap prices - the wool cost more than £6 not to mention the time and love in it!

      Delete
  2. I love that blanket, what a find! I agree with the comment that it's nicer for handmade things to look handmade too.

    I've had a few good things from the charity shop recently, nothing exciting, but very useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree too, nearly everything I've ever made has at least one 'deliberate' mistake in it!

      Delete
  3. Fab finds! Like the blanket! I think the owl brooch is South American. The hedgehog is late 70s from Avon - I had one! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I agree, I think the owl looks very South American, didn't know the hedgehog was an Avon one though!

      Delete
  4. Ooh that blanket is lovely! Kinda want to create one for myself now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also agree with the 'handmade looking handmade' comment! You did well, esp the Salad spinner since you wanted one. I want to find a nice pyrex dish for microwaving things at home and school rather than plastic so I want to keep an eye out for that too.
    I bought a few things from the charity shops on Saturday- a pack of 6 cotton hankies for 99p (I use cotton hankies), a Cath Kidston gadget case for a present, 2 Sherlock DVDs and a Agatha Christie plus a black cardie (I always need them) and some brand new navy blue t-shirts I want to experiment on and upcycle with a collar for a Clara project!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! First time commenter on your lovely blog here! I love the Christmas decorations, they remind me of the ones we had when I was little, before the minimal, Scandi aesthetic arrived. On my recent charity shop trips,I have found some plant pots, a (sort-of) Christmassy plate, a pot with lid for the bathroom, and a candle dish. Very pleased with them all...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine, thanks so much for visiting :)

      I'm not a fan of the Scandi-minimal-christmas aesthetic - give me glittery retro Christmas any time!

      Delete
  7. Some great finds.....especially that gorgeous and colourful blanket. My tree decorations are a real mish mash. I try to pick one up everytime I go away. Unpacking them at xmas is always very nostalgic, as I try and remember where I got them all from. And of course gift ones are fab too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're the same with our Christmas decorations, we buy one together every year, I think it's a lovely tradition :) x

      Delete

Thanks for visiting!

You can also find me on Twitter @secondhandsusie and Facebook facebook.com/secondhandsusie